I am afraid I fell victim to the time change when I posted my pictures on Facebook from Dunedin. I set the date as November 25th instead of November 26th. I used the date/time stamp on the photograph which is based upon the date set in my Canon EOS camera for Eastern Standard Time in the United States. When the picture is stamped as 5:30 PM on 11/25 that means it was taken at 9:30 AM on 11/26 in Dunedin. My apologies.
I am also afraid that you might be a bit disappointed in my Day 5 blog, because we were supposed to stop in Akaroa, NZ just outside of Christchurch. This was supposed to be one of the most dramatic ports of call on our tour and we were looking forward to some very beautiful mountain scenery as seen in the Lord of the Rings movies. However, it was not to be.
When we woke up in the morning and looked out from our veranda, all we could see was a tender boat bobbing up and down like a little cork. Apparently the winds were blowing at about 70 miles per hour and the tender boats could not hold still enough along side the ship for the transfer of passengers.
A few minutes after seeing the scary sight of that tender, the captain came on the loudspeaker announcing that he was cancelling this port of call. It was just too dangerous to try to get anyone off of the ship. With that said, the tender was brought back onto the ship and we sailed very slowly toward our next port.
Even if the captain had allowed the tenders to run in this rough weather, Alice would never have gotten off of the ship. She has a fear of going on the tender boats even in calm weather. It has something to do with bridging the gap between the ships or between the dock and the ship on the way back. Before the captain made the announcement, Alice had already stated that there was no way she was going on the tender boat.
There was one positive side effect. I was able to begin work on Book 2 of the trilogy. Up to this point, I was either too tired from the time change or we had to much going on with Milford Sound and Dunedin.
I knew what I wanted to accomplish with the book that morning. I was already 23,500 words into an 80,000 word novel, but I really had not had time to review what was already written. Therefore, I read and corrected the entire manuscript. This included renumbering the chapters, setting the proper fonts for the chapter headings and the body text, cleaning up some long run on sentences, etc. All in all, it was a productive morning and it got me ready for continuing the writing of the story on subsequent days.
I also had three copies of Book 1 with me on the ship and I lent two of them out to the library to see if I could generate any interest on the ship. I kept one copy as a reference for myself while writing Book 2.